Mushrooms not fun (Gus)! - Beware of Mushrooms

Mushrooms not fun (Gus)! - Beware of Mushrooms

Dogs are led by their noses, and it is great for their mental health to explore the environment around them – so many smells and textures and tastes. Unfortunately, this means contact with some not so lovely things too when our dogs find particularly yukky treasures! An old shoe, rotten food, something dead, or a random mushroom. Conditions have been perfect for fungi recently and you may have seen them popping up in lawns, gardens, and bushland – they’re everywhere. And whilst not all of them are harmful, some can make your dog very unwell and cause long term damage, and others can be fatal.

It’s important to be aware of the potential dangers to keep your furry friend safe. Here are a few examples of dangerous mushrooms for dogs:


Some Amanita mushrooms, such as the Death Cap (Amanita phalloides – pictured left) and Destroying Angel (Amanita bisporigera), are highly toxic to dogs. Ingesting even a small amount can be fatal.



Mushrooms belonging to the Gyromitra genus, including the False Morel (Gyromitra esculenta – pictured right), contain a toxin called gyromitrin. Ingestion of these mushrooms can cause severe poisoning in dogs.


Certain Inocybe mushrooms (pictured left) contain toxins that can affect the nervous system of dogs. Ingestion of these mushrooms may cause symptoms such as drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and tremors.


Conocybe filaris (pictured right): This small, brown mushroom is commonly found in lawns and gardens. It contains a toxin called amatoxin, which can cause liver damage and failure in dogs.


Some Galerina mushrooms (pictured left) contain amatoxins, similar to the Death Cap mushroom. Ingesting these mushrooms can lead to liver damage or even death in dogs.


It’s important to note that this is not an exhaustive list, and there are other potentially toxic mushroom species as well. To ensure the safety of your dog, it’s best to prevent them from coming into contact with any wild mushrooms. Illness can begin almost immediately with symptoms occurring anywhere from 30 minutes up to 6 hours, and these can include:


  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Tremors
  • Increase or decrease in urine production
  • Weakness, or lack of coordination
  • Disorientation and/or agitation
  • Seizures or fitting


If you suspect your dog has ingested a toxic mushroom or is showing any symptoms of poisoning, it is crucial to seek immediate veterinary care. Take along a sample of the suspected mushroom if it is safe to do so. And don’t delay – the longer you wait the more damage can occur to your dog!

In addition to keeping your furry friends safe, we also offer trusted and reliable Dog Minding services. Your beloved pets will be in good hands while you’re away, so you can enjoy peace of mind knowing they’re well-cared for.